Friday, June 1, 2007

The Briny Deep

It's official: my scuba gear works, and Roy's works, and so we should make it through our 6 days of diving in Bonaire without equipment malfunction. This is my first non-family vacation completely work-free since 2004. And it's the longest vacation I've had in maybe forever. Well, 6 months in Europe when I was 9 years old was longer, but...

My passport is shiny new, my sarongs are being shipped (had to get the black/white skull one and the tie-dyed star). The digital camera arrived today, just a few days after its waterproof casing.

I don't think it's sunk in entirely that in a week we'll be somewhere so completely other than I've ever experienced. My mind is occupied with the intractable work situation, getting the pets ready for petsitters, thinking about what to pack... I suppose when I'm on the plane I'll be closer to feeling really GONE. However, not until I'm actually there, with the ocean a precious playground before me, do I believe I will have the true feeling of being away.

I know that iguanas are to Bonaire what squirrels are to Austin (and most other places in the United States). I know they eat a lot of goat, buying milk is not recommended, you can pay in dollars and receive guilders in change. I've read about the shore diving, I hear Magda will make custom omelets at the Buddy Dive resort, and it's widely known that you do not lock your truck, and you should leave your windows down.

But I have no idea what being away feels like. I'll let you know what it is like when I do, if I decide to come back.

2 comments:

RedLipstick said...

It will probably take a couple of days. Waking up in a new place helps, because the stress of travel and preparation will finally be gone. You can start fresh that day.

Have a wonderful trip!

Unknown said...

Yay vacation!!!!